Thursday, February 10, 2011

You don't bring me flowers....


Babs and Neil Diamond couldn't have sung it any better.  Husband does not bring me flowers.  Not now or ever really. It's just not how he operates.  Valentines Day is around the corner but it'll be another day without flowers or gifts or any other symbolic gesture to reassure me that the love is still there. To be fair I suppose it's because giving gifts isn't his "Love Language."  If you've never read the 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman you're missing out on some basic, honest to goodness relationship  5 Cent psychology. But it's good stuff cause it's pretty much totally accurate. 
"— everyone has a love language, and we all identify primarily with one of the five love languages: Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch."

Let's just say that Acts of Service (vacuuming the living room floor for Mama), Quality time (he has to actually be at home occasionally right? Husbands work schedule prevents this), Words of affirmation (again, see "quality time", the person must actually be present), Receiving or Giving gifts, is seriously NEVER going to happen. So I suppose Husbands "Love Language" is Physical Touch.  Like isn't EVERY man all about that?   

{not that I want this tacky shiz anyway...much}

 So it falls on me to make reservations to go out for dinner on Valentines Day because otherwise NOTHING would happen. It's just another made up non-holiday as far as Husband is concerned. He really doesn't give a hoot.  And I can't help but feel a little deflated by this.  It would be nice if he put a little bit of effort into things at least some of the time? To be fair though it's not like I didn't know what I was getting into, he's never been any good at being romantic or thoughtful. 

I'm blown away when I hear about big elaborate, creative marriage proposals, or secretly planned romantic getaways that are sprung on unsuspecting wives or girlfriends. That stuff impresses me. 
Even the little things like a simple bouquet of flowers on my birthday or on Valentines Day would be really appreciated but I know it's not going to happen. (At least it's highly unlikely.)
  It's not like Husband isn't a great guy. He IS...but he really falls down when it comes to thoughtful gestures and romance.  
Tell me I'm not the only wife or girlfriend who's lives with this? I'd like to wallow in my self-pity with someone who understand me?!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment